Saturday, September 11, 2010

Adoption Stories

I realize I talk about adoption a lot but that's Kade's story!  And, since he doesn't do much besides eat, sleep and fill diapers there isn't a whole lot to report!  His big milestone this week is that he's now following objects with his eyes, yeah, not all that exciting.  Well, for Erik and I, we're super pumped about it but we're super pumped about everything.

Back when we started the adoption process we had to take some classes about it.  Becky, our social worker, posed a lot of thought provoking questions and scenarios to get us ready for when we did bring a baby home.  At the time, I didn't put a lot of thought into the questions because we knew it could be years before we were chosen.  I figured I'd deal with issues when we actually had a baby in our arms.  Big mistake.

One question I remember her posing was what would we say/do when complete strangers came up and asked us who the baby looks like/how does new mommy feel after labor/Wow, mommy looks great for just having a baby!  Would we tell these strangers that he's adopted?  Would we just smile, say thanks and move on knowing we'd never see these people again?  I answered the question with a positive "YES!" we'll definitely tell strangers he's adopted!  After all, adoption is a positive thing so we should be shouting it from the roof tops to help spread the word!  We're proud to be adoptive parents so we want to show Kade a positive message by telling everyone his story!  I'm sorry to report that I failed miserably on my very first outing with him.  I was caught off guard!  I wasn't prepared!

We were in the elevator, going up to visit my mom at work, so it was only a 30 second interaction (that's my excuse).  Some ladies were in there with us and they were oohing and aahing over Kade.  Then they turned to me and asked "How does new mommy feel?  Are you all healed?"  What did I do?  I smiled and said "I'm doing great!"  The elevator door opened, we stepped out and I was kicking myself.  Granted, he was 4 weeks old, he's not going to remember.  However, I should have told them.  I should always tell people so it becomes habit because when Kade gets older he is going to remember and I want to set a good example.  Also, it helps put a positive light on adoption.  Those ladies may have known someone who could be considering adoption and they could think back to that super cute baby in the elevator and say "Yes!  I saw an adopted baby and he was obviously very loved and his adoptive mom had a smile from ear to ear!"  I promised myself that on our next outing I'd handle things differently.  I did but only because I had to. 

Kade and I were at the post office.  I was getting a package ready to send to Lady A.  Whenever we want to send her something we have to package it up, get the correct postage on it, bring it to Catholic Charities and then they put her address on it and mail it.  So, I was at the post office and I'm embarrassed to admit this, but in my entire life I've never mailed a package.  I'm a post office rookie.  So, when it was my turn I brought everything up to the counter and asked the postman to weigh everything and stamp it.  Postman: "Well, I can't stamp it if it doesn't have an address."  Me: "I don't know the address.  Just put the correct amount of postage on the box and then I'm having a friend address it."  Postman: "Well, where is it going?  You can't just stamp something without knowing where it's going."  Me:  "It's going somewhere local."  Postman:  "Well, what if you get the wrong address.  You need extra postage to get the package returned to you.  It'd be easier if you could get the address and then come back."  Me: "If it doesn't get to where it's going, I won't get it back anyway."  Postman:  "Well, this looks like a very nice item, wouldn't you want it back?  Why don't you find out the address and come back."  Me:  "Look, this baby is adopted.  This is a gift for his birthmom.  I don't know the address.  I'll never know the address.  I need it stamped so I can bring it to the adoption agency so they can mail it to her.  If it doesn't get to her then it just gets lost or goes back to the agency.  Please. Just. Stamp. It."  Postman: blank stare, uncomfortable silence, quick glance at Kade, "Okay".  I turn around, everyone in line is staring at us.  I smile at everyone and walk out.

Capping off this post with more pictures!
Michael and Kade, lounging in their Boppy's, watching the Vikings lose the season opener
Track Star!  Those shoes make Kade run really fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment