Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Week of Firsts

This past weekend we attended our first ever hockey game!  Tim (Owen, Ellie and Rylee's dad) is a varsity coach and his team had a Saturday afternoon game.  Kade's been really into hockey ever since Christmas, when aunt Erin gave him a hockey stick.  It was a great opportunity to take Kade to a game, not to mention it was Megan's "29th" (wink, wink) birthday and she needed her BF to help her celebrate.

I think it might've been his last hockey game (if it were up to me) because he's obsessed now!  Unfortunately that means basketball has taken a backseat.  I guess that's better than wrestling though, right? :-)  He couldn't take his eyes off the game.  He had so many questions (so did Erik and I) and Owen, who's 6, answered them all so patiently for us.

On our way home I asked Kade if he liked basketball or hockey better.  It was a very loud and definitive "HOCKEY!!".  So, I asked Erik the same question.  He very slowly, loudly and deliberately answered, "BASKETBALL".  But it didn't work, 4 days later Kade's answer is still hockey.  Looks like a Gopher BB or Timberwolves game is in our near future :-)

Kade and his idol, Owen, cheering on the Avalanche hockey team.

Rylee (2), Ellie (4), Kade (3), Owen (6)


Not only is he holding a hockey stick, he's wearing a Badgers jersey!  Where did we go wrong??? :-)

We discovered Owen and Kade both have the disgusting talent of picking their nose without the use of fingers.  Proud Parents.

The other first we had this week was his first trip to the dentist!  I was kind of dreading it.  I thought it was going to be a complete waste of time because I assumed he'd be hiding behind my legs the entire time, not to mention the teeth brushing battles we have every single day.  

Umm, no.  He did AMAZING!  He even told me I didn't have to come with him because he's a big boy.  He hopped right up in the chair and opened his mouth wide before he was even asked!  They counted his teeth (20, they're all in), flossed, did a full cleaning with the rinse and suction, and a fluoride application! 

 Kade chatted with the hygienist, answered all of his questions and even high fived him.  Who is this big boy and what happened to my extremely shy Kade?!?!  Both the dentist and the hygienist said he did better than most 5 year olds they see!  After it was all done Kade said, "I love this, Mama!"  I was so proud, I had tears in my eyes.


He got all of the usual goodies after a dentist visit.  But, I have to say, his choice of sticker was a bit unusual....











No comments:

Post a Comment