Wednesday, March 11, 2015

10 days, 2 doctor visits, about 100 gauze pads and roughly 6 miles of gauze wrap later Mason's burns are healed!  There's one little spot on his forearm that got burned pretty bad so it will probably have a scar but it looks like he will be scar free everywhere else!  I'm not sure what we're going to do with all of our extra time in the mornings and evenings now that we don't have to do dressing changes!

In other news, we recently discovered that Mason is tongue tied.  I had the doctor take a look after he gave the A-OK to the burns.  Not only is he tongue tied, apparently he's REALLY tongue tied.  Umm, there's levels of tongue tied-edness??

The good news is it hasn't affected his eating--that's an issue for some but definitely not for him.  The bad news is it could affect his speech so he may need a speech therapist or we could get the piece of skin holding his tongue clipped.  I think this kid has had enough pain recently.  The thought of clipping the little thingy that holds your tongue down is not something I want to entertain for him.  Gives me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it!!  His tongue holder is really thin though so the doctor said it could tear at some point.  Again, shivers down my spine.

I did a quick google search of it.  One of the symptoms is that he won't be able to clean his teeth with his tongue so kids may make fun of him.  Really?  That's something to consider?  Maybe I'll be sure he always has a toothbrush with him so he doesn't get picked on for not being able to lick his teeth.  I'm more concerned about the other "symptom" that was mentioned:  not being able to lick ice cream cones.  Now that would be a disaster.

Kade story:
Last week a bird hit our window.  It didn't sound like it hit very hard but the bird was sitting on our deck, just below the window, for quite awhile.  My windows are disgusting.  There are hand prints, snot streaks and tongue licks all over them.  I'm making the bird take the blame for this one.

Anyway, the bird wasn't moving.  Not even a little.  I thought it was a goner but Kade assured me it was ok because it's eyes were wide open.  I wasn't ready for that conversation so I just went along with it.  Eventually the bird did move, it blinked, turns out Kade was right!  It sat there for over an hour so we randomly checked on it.  I noticed at one point it was fluffing it's feathers, presumably to stay warm but Kade had a better explanation.  He thought, maybe, the bird was exercising.  I'm going with Kade's theory  :-)  I love that kid.

Kade said he saw the bird walk away.  I didn't see it.  In any case, it's gone and we're just going to keep on believing that the bird is living the good life in a tree somewhere.

Cute little beaver!!

He assured me he wasn't going to sleep, just play cars during rest time.  He must've passed out during the starting line up!



Hopefully these are the last of the snow pictures for 2015!!  A girl can dream anyway...


1 comment:

  1. if anyone gives Mason any grief for being tongue-tied you just have him talk to me!!

    ReplyDelete